My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://phillipa-ashley.com/blog and update your bookmarks.

Phillipa Ashley

Monday, May 29, 2006

Over the edge - part 2






Eventually, I managed to get into position i.e. leaning backwards over the cliff and then... I slipped on the wet moss and overbalanced sideways. Fortunately, Phil had hold of the rope and stopped me from doing any damage but it didn’t help matters. Another ten minutes and I tried again and this time, agonisingly slowly, I got my boots over the edge again. The moment I had to let to go of Phil and step back over the edge, was probably the worst. It really was much easier from there but there was no way on earth I was going to look down. I kept my eyes riveted on the metal ring and rope and in no time I had walked, Batman-like, down the rock face and was at the bottom.

The first thing I noticed, apart from trembling legs was that my fingers were throbbing from getting wet and cold and from gripping the rope as if my life depended on it.

Mr Bennet, to my surprise and envy, skipped down the cliff like an old pro – you’d never know it was his first time. He reckons it was scarier helping his dad re-tile their roof. But he did give me a very big hug and buy me a very large glass of wine.

If you want to make a donation to the LAMRT, please visit www.lamrt.org.uk or if you know my address, please send me a cheque payable to LAMRT or email me for details.

Thanks so much for your encouragement and support, moral and financial

Love

Pip xxx

8 Comments:

  • At 1:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well done that woman!

    I've abseiled only in fine weather and I've a good head for heights, but even so, it's still a nerve-jangling moment as you go over that edge ... and when it's just you on the end of the ropes, even 50ft can seem like a very long way ...

    By the way ... wonderful photograph of a terrified human being. Did closing your eyes help? :o)

     
  • At 1:17 AM, Blogger Phillipa said…

    Hi Moira

    How did Splatte Ye Ratte go?

     
  • At 2:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It was fine. It started out absolutely throwing it down, but improved later on.

    Heaven preserve me from parents who never want their children to fail at anything, though.

    "He can't have a prize because he didn't hit the bean bag."
    "He nearly did."
    "Not even close. He hardly tried."
    "He's only 6 years old."
    "That angelic little girl's only three and she went at it like an demented troll ..."

    etc, etc, etc, ...

     
  • At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good effort what a trooper (or should that be troopette LOL) !!

    Looks like fun in a mad and frenzied way :-) and the photo's are excellent, you do look at home in those togs !

    A well deserved glass of wine

    DF x

     
  • At 3:44 AM, Blogger Jessica Raymond said…

    Congrats, Pip! Not sure I could have done it :)

     
  • At 5:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Pip
    Well done you!
    Even Abba would have called you a Super Trooper.

    Jude D

     
  • At 12:13 PM, Blogger Jessica Raymond said…

    Hi Pip, got your message but I can't track down your email anywhere! I've put a "Contact Me" button on my blog profile so you can send me your address privately. Jess x

     
  • At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What fantastic photos! :) I remember the first time I went over the edge of a cliff, I was praying the ropes would hold. Thankfully they did!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home